APPLICATION TIPS AND TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE
Letters of Recommendation
- Applicants are required to have two letters of recommendation. The online application will ask for your recommender names and email addresses so be sure to have up to date email addresses for your recommenders.
- The recommender will be emailed a link to an online recommendation form from Applications@AFI.com AFTER you submit your application, and it is processed into our system. Please have your recommender check their spam folders if they do not see the email in their inbox.
- The recommenders should simply convey how long he/she has known you and in what capacity, including relevant evaluative remarks.
- Applicants re-applying or applying to different disciplines should have new and different recommendations for each new application. We cannot reuse letters.
- We do not accept hardcopy letters of recommendation.
- It is your responsibility to follow up with your recommenders to see if they have completed the recommendation form.
- Recommenders' online recommendation form has a limitation of 2,000 characters.
- Letters should be received within two weeks of the submission of your application or your application's deadline date.
- If there are any other issues related to the recommendations, please email Applications@AFI.com, and we will follow up with you.
- For issues with uploading documents, please be sure your documents are PDF (in format, not in filename) and no larger than 25mb. Additionally, please be sure you are running the latest version of Adobe Acrobat.
- Once your application is submitted you cannot go back to make any changes.
- You will receive a confirmation email once you submit your application. After we process your application into our system, you will then receive a second email from the Admissions Office about how to check missing documents, etc. If you apply after normal business hours, you will not receive this second email until we return to the office.
- If there are any other issues related to the application, please email Applications@AFI.com, and we will follow up with you.
- We accept official hard copy or e-transcripts. Please plan accordingly for your institution to mail upon applying.
- E-transcripts should be sent to Applications@AFI.com.
- Hard copy transcripts can be mailed directly to AFI Conservatory Admissions from the issuing institution. We will not accept transcripts from the applicant unless it remains in the original sealed envelope from the originating institution.
- Please send all transcripts from previous undergraduate or graduate studies. Transcripts are needed for any school listed on your application regardless if a degree was earned there or not.
- While grades are given some consideration, the Admissions Committee uses transcripts primarily to gain a better sense of the applicant's background and specific areas of study. Applicants who do not have any undergraduate experience are eligible to apply to the Certificate program and are not required to submit transcripts.
- Transcripts should be received within two weeks of the submission of your application or your application's deadline date.
One of the most important parts of the application is the Narrative Statement. The Narrative Statement should consist of:
- Your background (1 page)
- Your motivation for applying to the discipline (1 page)
- A personal statement (1 page)
While your statement should be clear and well-written, do not forget to convey individual personality. Speak honestly and openly. The Narrative Statement is an additional opportunity to demonstrate your artistic voice, as well as your desire and commitment to enter this renowned program.
- The résumé should list, in detail, the applicant's education to date as well as set experience and professional work accomplished.
AFI Scholarship Application
- If you wish to apply for AFI Scholarship funds, you must submit the AFI Conservatory scholarship application. Download the PDF application, complete it and the required essay(s), and you will be asked to upload it in PDF format within the online application. Please make sure you merge the application and required essay(s) into one PDF to upload to your application.
- The minimum TOEFL score requirement is 100 Internet-based score (IBT), 250 computer-based (CBT) or 600 paper-based (PBT). Please allow appropriate time for test scheduling.
- The minimum IELTS score is 7.0. Please allow appropriate time for test scheduling.
- Applications will not be reviewed without receipt of a qualifying minimum TOEFL or IELTS score. No exceptions allowed.
- The AFI Conservatory testing code is 9760.
- For TOEFL/IELTS exemption information, please visit the International Applicants portion of our website.
- The TOEFL/IELTS scores should be received within two weeks of the submission of your application or your application's deadline date.
- Given the large number of applications received each year, the Admissions Committee is unable to review more than the specified number of minutes per sample according to the discipline requirements. There is no minimum length requirement, although pieces shorter than 5 minutes may not provide the best example of narrative filmmaking. Please refer to each discipline's application requirements for the maximum length allowed per moving image submission.
If you have more specific questions about the application process or the AFI Conservatory, please contact the Admissions Office at 323.856.7740 or you may inquire via e-mail at Admissions@AFI.com.